Requirements of the STSC Major (14 cu)
Core Courses (2 cu)
- STSC 001 OR STSC 003
- STSC 160, STSC 168, STSC 208, OR STSC 212 (or STSC 001 or 003, whichever one they did not take already)
Department Electives (7 cu)
Submajor Courses (4 cu): Each STSC major selects one submajor (an individual area of interest within STSC) and completes four (4) courses for it using courses using pre-approved and/or petitioned courses.
- Biotechnology and Biomedicine
- Energy and Environment
- Global Science and Technology
- Information and Organizations
What Counts for the STSC Major - Courses and Grades
- CORE COURSES: There are no substitutes for core courses (001, 003, 160, 168, 208, 212)
- STSC Department Electives: are those courses listed on the STSC Department Electives page. ONLY these courses can fulfill the department elective requirement. Courses from abroad cannot fulfill the department course requirement nor can non-department courses be petitioned to fulfill this requirement.
- SUBMAJOR COURSES: Pre-approved courses for the submajors count automatically and do not need to be petitioned.
- Non-College Courses for the Submajor: Students may use up to 3 non-College courses in the submajor, including transfer courses approved through XCat.
- Petitions for submajor courses: are evaluated on the relevance of the course to the submajor and the quality of the argument in the petition.
- Seniors may not petition courses after the add period in their last semester
- Study Abroad courses: Up to two (2) courses from abroad count, if approved through XCat. These count only for the submajor, not to for core courses or department electives.
- Double Counting: there is no double-counting within the major or between sections of the major. The Capstone course is a separate requirement and cannot double count within the major.
- AP credits do not count toward the STSC major
- MINIMUM GRADE FOR CREDIT IN THE MAJOR: C-
- Courses taken pass-fail cannot count toward the major (This is College policy)
How your STSC worksheet works:
- You cannot update or change your own official worksheet.
- The worksheet requires regular manual override by Dr. Benson or Dr. Greene to update it. Dr. Greene updates all worksheets in the spring and the fall.
- The software is old and wonky. It doesn't place courses accurately on your worksheet, doesn't remove courses which you've dropped, puts courses in the wrong places, and doesn't always respect overrides.
- The STSC WEBSITE is ALWAYS more accurate about requirements than the worksheet on PennInTouch.
- Red Xs happen because of how the software works (or doesn't).
- Calmly email Dr. Greene about any worksheet questions or to request an update of your worksheet.
Requirements for STSC Majors who declared before Jan. 4, 2017
I. Core Courses (2 cu) STSC 001 and STSC 003
II. Department Courses (5 cu)
III. Submajors (6 cu)
- Cultures of Technoscience
- Energy, Environment and Technology
- Life Sciences and Society
IV. Capstone Research Requirement (1 cu)