What is the Capstone Research Requirement (STSC 4000)?
- This is a requirement that all majors complete an in-depth 20+ page research paper as the “capstone” or culmination of their studies in STSC. The capstone requirement can only be fulfilled by taking STSC 4000.
- STSC 4000 must be taken either in the spring of junior year or the spring of senior year (i.e., within the last three semesters before graduation).
- STSC 4000 is reserved only for STSC majors.
Note for potential STSC thesis writers
- Students considering writing an honors thesis in STSC must take STSC 4000 in the spring of their junior year. In addition to writing a Capstone research paper, potential thesis writers in STSC-4000 also complete a proposal for further thesis research.
- The 20+ page Capstone research paper must receive a grade of at least C- to receive capstone credit.
- STSC 400 cannot be double-counted within the major as a foundation, departmental elective or submajor course. It is a separate requirement.
- The Capstone project is not the same as a "senior thesis"; rather, it is the necessary first step in completing a thesis project. Please see the Senior Thesis page for further details.