The Application Process
Application deadline for Fall 2019 admission: December 15, 2018 11:59 pm E.S.T.
Access the graduate admissions page for information about the Graduate Division of the School of Arts and Sciences and about the admissions process itself. For more information, contact the Graduate Coordinator for our program.
To apply follow this link: https://www.applyweb.com/upenng/
All application materials must be submitted electronically.
The GRE General Test is required. Other than that, there are no department-specific prerequisites for admission. Applicants for whom English is a secondary language are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and earn a score of 575 or higher (paper-based) or 233 or higher (computer-based) in order to be considered for admission.
The Department Process
After reviewing applicant files, the faculty invites those students who seem most promising to spend a full day at Penn. Prospective students who are invited to visit meet with faculty and graduate students and learnmore about our facilities, setting and program. Any interested student is of course welcome to attend one of our Monday workshops.
- Deadline for applications to the SAS Grad Office: December (see date above)
- On-campus pre-admission interviews for invited students: January and February
- Admissions offers go out: Late February
- Post-Admission Re-Visit Day for admitted students: mid-March
- Decision deadline for admitted students: April 15