The Application Process
Application deadline for Fall 2022 admission: December 15, 2021 11:59 pm E.S.T.
Click here for information about the admissions process from the Graduate Division of the School of Arts and Sciences, and here for direct access to the admission portal. All application materials must be submitted electronically.
For more information, contact the History and Sociology of Science program's Graduate Coordinator.
The GRE General Test is not required during the 2021/22 admissions cycle. Applicants for whom English is a secondary language are required to take a test of English (such as the TOEFL iBT® Test (standard/in-person), the TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition, the TOEFL ITP® Plus for China solution, or the Duolingo English Test).
The Admissions Process
After reviewing applicant files, the faculty invites those students who seem most promising to spend a full day at Penn. Invited candidates meet with faculty and graduate students and learn more about our facilities, setting and program. Any interested student is welcome to attend one of our public Monday workshops.
- Deadline for applications to the SAS Grad Office: December (see date above)
- On-campus pre-admission interviews for invited students: January and February
- Admissions offers go out: Late February
- Post-Admission Re-Visit Day for admitted students: mid-March
- Decision deadline for admitted students: April 15