Submajors provide the opportunity for students to explore their particular interest within STS.
Each student puts together a program of four courses from across the university as well as the department that help them explore a topic, problem or question.
Biotechnology and Biomedicine
Energy and Environment
Global Science and Technology
Information and Organizations
- A submajor is a group of four courses (4 cu)
- A submajor is about a topic, problem, or question that the student wants to explore and investigate
- Each submajor has a list of pre-approved (but not required) courses for each submajor to guide student selections
- Students may petition other courses for their chosen submajor.
- Seniors must submit petitions before the end of add period in their last semester before graduation
- Up the three non-College courses may be in the submajor
Petitioning Courses for the Submajor
- Submit a syllabus and petition form to Dr. Greene or Dr. Benson
- All petitions must make an argument about including this course in your submajor that connects the course specifically to the submajor and to STSC major.
- Petitions should be submitted promptly during or just after the semester in which the course occurs.
Previous Submajors (for already declared majors as of January 4, 2017)
Cultures of Technoscience
Energy, Environment and Technology
Life Science in Society