Submajors provide the opportunity for students to explore their particular interest within STS by developing an individualized program. Each student puts together a program of four courses that help them explore a topic, problem, theme or question. These courses may come from across the university. The goal is that each student understands how these courses relate to each other and work together to form a coherent group--that each student can have an "elevator speech" describing what they did with their submajor.
- Biotechnology and Biomedicine
- Energy and Environment
- Global Science and Technology
- Information and Organizations
- Submajors are made up of courses selected by the student.
- Courses that are pre-approved are not requiredbut but serve as examples of what kinds of courses could be in the submajor.
- Students may petition courses for their chosen submajor.
- Up to two science courses that are 200-level or higher may be included in the submajor
- Up to three non-College courses may be included in the submajor
How to Petition Courses for the Submajor
- Submit a syllabus and petition form to the STSC chair or Associate Director
- The purpose of a petition is to make an argument as to how this course fits in the submajor with the other courses that are there.
- Petitions should be submitted promptly during or just after the semester in which the course occurs. Seniors need to submit before the end of add period in their last semester.
- STSC Request Form.docx