Submajors provide the opportunity for students to explore their particular interest within STS by developing an individualized program. Each student assembles a program of four courses that help them explore a topic, problem, theme or question. These may be selected from courses offered within and beyond the History and Sociology of Science department.
- Biotechnology and Biomedicine
- Energy and Environment
- Global Science and Technology
- Information and Organizations
- Submajors are made up of courses selected by the student.
- For each submajor, there is a list of pre-approved courses. These are meant to inspire, not require; they are provided as examples of possible ways the submajor can be individualized around student interests and goals.
- Students may petition courses for their chosen submajor (see below).
- Up to two science courses that are 200-level or higher may be included in the submajor .
- Up to three non-College courses may be included in the submajor.
How to Petition Courses for the Submajor
- Submit a syllabus and petition form to the STSC program chair or Associate Director. STSC Request Form.docx
- The purpose of a petition is to make an argument as to how this course fits in the submajor with the other courses that are there.
- Petitions should be submitted promptly during or just after the semester in which the course occurs. Seniors need to submit before the end of add period in their last semester.