Submajors provide the opportunity for students to explore their particular interest within STS.
Each student puts together a program of four courses from across the university as well as the department that help them explore a topic, problem or question.
- Biotechnology and Biomedicine
- Energy and Environment
- Global Science and Technology
- Information and Organizations
- A submajor is a group of four courses (4 cu)
- A submajor is about a topic, problem, or question that the student wants to explore and investigate within the realm of STSC
- Each submajor has a list of some pre-approved (but not required) courses for each submajor to aid students in creating their submajors
- Up to three non-College courses may be in the submajor
- Students may petition courses for their chosen submajor. STSC Request Form 18C.docx
- Science courses must be 200-level or higher to be included in the submajor (up to two science courses may be used.)
- Seniors must submit petitions before the end of add period in their last semester before graduation
Petitioning Courses for the Submajor
- Submit a syllabus and petition form to Dr. Greene or Dr. Benson
- All petitions must make an argument about including this course in your submajor that connects the course specifically to the student's topic, problem, or question in the submajor and to the STSC major.
- Petitions should be submitted promptly during or just after the semester in which the course occurs.
- STSC Request Form 18C.docx
Previous Submajors (for already declared majors as of January 4, 2017)
Cultures of Technoscience
Energy, Environment and Technology
Life Science in Society