Concentrations provide students with the opportunity to focus on a particular interest within Health & Societies. Students select one from the list below.
Bioethics and Society (Advising Group: Crnic, Linker, Moreno)
Disease and Society (Advising Group: Aronowitz, Barnes, Cannuscio,Schnittker)
Environment and Health (Advising Group: Crnic, Greene, Kulik, Pepino)
Gender and Health (Advising Group: Crnic, Johnson, Fairman, Linker)
Global Health (Advising Group: Barg, Johnson, Mukharji)
Health Care Markets and Financing (Advising Group: Aronowitz, Asch, Schwartz)
Health Policy and Law (Advising Group: Fairman, Johnson, Linker, Moreno, Summers)
History of Medicine (Advising Group: Aronowitz, Barnes, Linker, Mukharji)
Public Health (Advising Group: Barnes, Cannuscio, Sorenson)
What courses go into the concentration:
- Each concentration consists of six courses (6 c.u.)
- Some concentration have a core course or courses. Core courses should be completed first before petitioning other courses.
- There is a list of pre-approved courses for each concentration. These are not required, but suggested.
- Students may petition other relevant courses that they find to count for the concentration as well (see the petition form below).
- Students may include up to three courses from outside the College in the concentration.
- Study Abroad courses (if relevant to HSOC) go into the concentration.
How to Petition Courses for your Concentration
The petition process is simple, and the vast majority are approved.
- We prefer that petitions are for current courses or courses taken in the previous semester. You may consult with Dr. Greene or Dr. Barnes in advance about a course you want to take and may need to petition. Complete core courses before petitioning concentration courses.
- Download the petition form - download the pdf found below
- On the form, make an specific argument demonstrating how the material in the specific course applies to the intellectual focus of your concentration, and fits with the other courses in your concentration.
- Submit the petition and a course syllabus to Dr. Barnes or Dr. Greene
Note: The list of pre-approved courses for each concentration is evaluated and updated every year. Courses dropped from the pre-approved list continue to count for the major
(1) if the course counted for the concentration when it was taken and
(2) if the student was an HSOC major when they took the course.