HSOC Major Policies and Rules
- HSOC 10 or HSOC 145: There is no exception to the rule that in order to declare the HSOC major, a student must have taken or be currently enrolled in HSOC 10 or HSOC 145.
- Core Courses: there are no substitutes for courses fulfilling quantitative and core discipline requirements.
- HSOC Electives are fulfilled with courses on this list of HSOC electives (substitutes cannot be petitioned)
- Concentration courses: There is a list of pre-approved courses for each concentration, but these courses are not required, and students may petition other courses for the concentration.
- Petitioning courses: Petitions are only accepted for concentration courses, and seniors may not petition courses after the add date of their last semester.
- Non-College courses: Students may have up to three non-College courses in their concentrations.
- Transfer courses may count if approved through XCat for the major
- Study Abroad: Up to two courses may count if approved through XCat but only for the concentration. EXCEPTIONS: up to three courses from IHP may be counted in the major
- AP courses do not count toward the HSOC major
- Minimum Grade required for credit in the HSOC major is a C-. Courses with less than a C- or taken pass/fail do not count toward the HSOC major [this is College policy].
- Double-counting courses: You cannot double-count within the HSOC major--you need 14 separate courses to complete the major. You may double-count ONE course between the major and the sectors.
- Double-counting with MINORS: HSOC majors may only double count three (3) courses between an HSOC major and the STSC minor or the BIOE minor. HBS concentrators may not minor in BIOE.
- Double-counting with other MAJORS: Please check with the College office on how to manage double-counting between two majors. There must be at least 9 courses for the HSOC major which are not double-counted. Double-majoring between HSOC and STSC is not permitted.
- Incompletes: An incomplete grade in a course is at the discretion of the instructor; students may not choose to take an incomplete.
How your HSOC worksheet works:
- Once your HSOC worksheet is made official, you cannot update or change it yourself, but have to see the HSOC Director or the Associate Director..
- The current worksheet requires regular MANUAL OVERRIDE by the HSOC Director or Associate Director in order to be updated accurately. Check in with either of them for a worksheet update. If you see errors on the worksheet it is most likely due to the wonky software and you should get a manual update.
- The HSOC WEBSITE is the most accurate source of information about the requirements fo the HSOC major, so if there are errors or red Xs check the website and also ask to have your worksheet updated.