Students select one of five submajors to pursue their individual interests within the major.
Students are expected to put together a coherent program of courses using pre-approved courses and/or other courses they find which they think are relevant.
Submajors (for new majors after January 4, 2017)
Biotechnology and Biomedicine
Energy and Environment
Global Science and Technology
Information and Organizations
- A submajor is about a topic, or an idea, or a question that the student wants to explore and investigate
- Each submajor has a list of pre-approved courses for each submajor
- Pre-approved courses are not required courses
- Students may petition other courses for their chosen submajor.
- Seniors must submit petitions before the end of add period in their last semester before graduation
- Up the three non-College courses may be in the submajor
- if a STSC major took a pre-approved course that is later removed from the pre-approved list, it will still count toward that student's STSC major.
Petitioning Courses for the Submajor
- Submit a syllabus and petition form to Dr. Greene or Dr. Benson
- All petitions must make an argument about including this course in your submajor that connects the course specifically to the submajor and to STSC major.
- Petitions should be submitted promptly during or just after the semester in which the course occurs.
Previous Submajors (for already declared majors as of January 4, 2017)
Cultures of Technoscience
Energy, Environment and Technology
Life Science in Society