There are two levels of independent studies available for HSOC majors.
1. HSOC 299 - Independent Study
This must be the equivalent in terms of work load of any middle-level course offered in the regular curriculum.
HSOC 299 Ind Study app 16-17.docx
2. HSOC 499 - Capstone Independent Study
This is ONLY for fulfilling the capstone research requirement. A student must develop a plan of work that is the equivalent of a semester course at the 400-level in terms of time (approximately 168 hours a term), amount/kind of reading and writing, and original research. The independent study must include a paper of independent research no less than 20 pages in length.
Note: According to College policy, an internship may not be used as an independent study. However, an internship may be used as field work to collect research that may be used later as a part of independent study.)
HSOC 499 Capstone app 16-17.docx
How to do an independent study in HSOC
- Develop a plan (the equivalent of a course syllabus) in conjunction with an advisor
- Download the independent study application (at the bottom of this page)
- Submit your application to Dr. Greene within the first week after classes begin (for Fall 2017, the deadline is Thursday September 7th)
- If your application is approved, Dr. Greene will make sure you are registered for the independent study (either HSOC 299 or HSOC 499)
- A second independent study for the HSOC major requires a petition from the student explaining why.