The concentration provides the opportunity to explore a particular interest within the general subject of Health & Societies.
Bioethics and Society (Advising Group: Crnic, Linker, Moreno)
Disease and Society (Advising Group: Aronowitz, Barnes, Cannuscio,Schnittker)
Environment and Health (Advising Group: Crnic, Greene, Kulik, Pepino)
Gender and Health (Advising Group: Crnic, Johnson, Fairman, Linker)
Global Health (Advising Group: Barg, Johnson, Mukharji)
Health Care Markets and Financing (Advising Group: Aronowitz, Asch, Schwartz)
Health Policy and Law (Advising Group: Fairman, Johnson, Linker, Moreno, Summers)
History of Medicine (Advising Group: Aronowitz, Barnes, Linker, Mukharji)
Public Health (Advising Group: Barnes, Cannuscio, Sorenson)
There is a list of pre-approved courses for each concentration--these are not required, but if taken they count, and they also provide a guide as to what kinds of courses could be petitioned for the concentration as well.
The advising groups for each concentration are professors who specialize in these areas, to consult about research ideas. Direct questions about requirements and the worksheet to Dr. Barnes and Dr. Greene.
What courses go into the concentration?
- Each concentration consists of six courses (6 c.u.) and some include a core required course or courses. Core courses should be completed first before petitioning other courses.
- There is a list of pre-approved courses for each concentration, and students may petition other courses for the concentration as well (see below).
- Consider the pre-approved lists to be suggestions as to what kinds of courses you can petition for the concentration.
- Students may include up to three courses from outside the College in the concentration.
- Study Abroad courses (if relevant to HSOC) go into the concentration.
How to Petition Courses for your Concentration
The petition process is simple, and the vast majority are approved.
- We prefer that petitions are for current courses or courses taken in the previous semester. You may consult with Dr. Greene or Dr. Barnes in advance about a course you want to take and may need to petition. Complete core courses before petitioning concentration courses.
- Download the petition form - download the pdf found below
- On the form, make an argument as to why this course applies to the intellectual focus of your concentration, and how it fits in with the other courses in your concentration; demonstrate that you are completing your core courses
- Submit the petition and a course syllabus to Dr. Barnes or Dr. Greene
Note: The list of pre-approved courses for each concentration is evaluated and updated every year. Courses dropped from the pre-approved list continue to count for the major
(1) if the course counted for the concentration when it was taken and
(2) if the student was an HSOC major when they took the course.