In addition to doctoral students, the department admits students seeking a terminal master's degree, including part-time students.
Requirements for the Master’s Degree:
- A total of 10 graduate course credits, of which at least 8 must be in HSSC.
- One of these courses must be HSSC 505
- Four others must be graduate seminars in each of at least two of our three major subfields (science, technology and medicine)
- One must be a research seminar in which the student completes a substantial writing project, and earns an A- or better.
- One must involve historical study of the period before 1850.
- Successful completion of the formal Second Year Evaluation, as required by the University.
For further information about the program and the application process for the M.A., contact Graduate Chair Dr. Mark Adams.